Above are sweet potato pancakes, perhaps not what first comes to mind when you think of Pancake Day, but delicious and full of nutrition, nonetheless. Here's the recipe:
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 16 oz yams, peeled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2T all-purpose gluten free flour
- oil for frying (canola or peanut work well)
- Heat oil to 375 degrees (use thermometer if possible)
- Mix egg, onion, parsley and flour.
- Process yams in food processor until yams are in small bits (see photo below)
- Mix potatoes with salt in a bowl lined with a cloth napkin. Join ends of napkin to make a bag, twisting the napkin until as much liquid as possible is removed.
- Add potatoes to egg mix.
- Use 1/4 cup measure to transfer mixture to oil. Flatten immediately with spatula.
- Do not turn pancakes until edges are very brown.
Makes 8 latkes.
Serve with sour cream and/or applesauce (traditional) or cranberry sauce and/or yogurt (non-traditional).
Here's another pancake recipe.